Wednesday, July 13, 2011

"The 84 Million Dollar Sketchup Joke"

Cleveland's 150,000 square-foot Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is an unfortunate massing of blank shapes and odd extensions of glass. This is what some would call "a sketchup disaster" and for good reason. As in the program, sketchup, one is able to push and pull shapes from nothing...it appears that that is exactly what occurred here. It lacks functionality within its artful form (artful...?) and has little to no connection to its incredible setting on the waterfront of Lake Erie. The architect, I.M. Pei, came up with the idea of a tower with a glass pyramid protruding from it...huh. That sure says rock and roll to me.

"It's been a long time since I rock-and-rolled
It's been a long time since I did the Stroll
let me get it back, let me get it back, let me get it back" 

No comments:

Post a Comment